The CWU has been made aware of a safety incident that occurred in a Telstra exchange in NSW earlier this year.
The incident involved a field worker who encountered an electrical hazard while replacing a fluorescent tube.
According to Telstra’s account of the incident, the worker disconnected the power lead from the daisy chain to commence the task.
The disconnected light power cable drooped down and made contact with the metal cage that surrounds the light fitting, causing a short circuit and a subsequent tripping of the circuit breaker.
An investigation revealed that the hazard arose from changes to the exchange suite lighting that had been made incorrectly, so that an extension cord in use had two male plugs (one at each end) and remained active despite one end being disconnected.
Members are reminded of the following: