Injuries at Work

If you are injured at work, your employer should be notified as soon as is possible in writing either by an incident book at the workplace, or through a letter.

If you have sustained an injury at work you should

  • Contact your union immediately for assistance.
  • Advise the Health and Safety Representative (HSR) at work
  • Injured workers should see their doctor as soon as possible and receive certification of their injury

Making a claim

These are the steps you need to take if you have been injured at work and need to make a WorkSafe/Comcare compensation claim.

1. Get medical treatment

The most important thing you need to do is to get is appropriate medical treatment from your doctor.

2. Make sure your injury is recorded

You must notify your employer of your injury. You can notify them by letter, and/or by filling out the Register of Injuries in your workplace, which your employer is legally required to have.

The Register can be filled in by you, or by someone on your behalf. Either way, make sure it is done within 30 days of you being injured.

If you don't notify your employer of your injury you may not be entitled to compensation.


3. Get a medical certificate

If you believe you may need to make a claim, or if you can't do your normal job, you need to get a proper WorkSafe/Comcare medical certificate. Contact CWUnion to get more detailed information about the specific types of medical certificate's you need, how long they last and when you need to get them.

The certificate needs to describe your injury, any anticipated time off work and possible alternative duties if required.

This is a very specific type of medical certificate. Contact CWUnion for advice.


4. If a motor vehicle was involved

If your injury is the result of a motor vehicle accident, you must also report the accident to the police.

5. Complete a claim form

If you need medical treatment or time off work as a result of your injury, you will need to complete a Worker's Injury claim form.

Especially in cases of serious or enduring injury, Contact CWU to get more information on:

  • medical costs
  • suing for damages.

6. Give your employer the claim form as soon as you can

  1. Sign your claim form
  2. Attach the medical certificate (if claiming weekly payments)
  3. Give them to your employer as soon as you can.

The sooner you submit the claim the sooner a decision can be made on whether you are eligible for compensation.

Your employer cannot refuse your WorkSafe/Comcare claim and they can not dismiss you for making one.

If you've left your job

If you lodge a claim after leaving your job, you must explain in writing why you could not make the claim while you were still employed.